Thursday, October 30, 2014

Print and Play: Star Conflict

Star Conflict- Outmaneuver Your Opponent In High-Speed Combat.
Finally finished my print and play iteration of my strategy action-game Conflict. The above image is my illustration for the box art.
My game went through many prototypes and iterration, but by far the factor that was most often changed was the grid. I originally started with a hexagon grid with different shapes, then  I even experimented with 3D papercraft. But after complications with the ease of printing and game design flaws decided to move away from that into having absolutely no grid and units moved by disks flipping each other end to end. This was a popular idea with my playtesters as they felt it was a unique concept they had not often seen.  After every playtest i would ask the testers what they felt about the movement. Did it feel immersive? Did it feel fun? Did it feel Unique? I discovered that I could still maintain the flipping of units and shapes that affected their movement if  I used a triangular grid, something that I had previously not seen.
It was also interesting to notice the gameplay influences from the tabletop games played for class such as Get to the Chopper, Punch!, and Battleship had on my game.
Link to download components: here
Link to download rules and manual: here

No comments:

Post a Comment